Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Author Interview with Dani Worth


Hi Dani! Thank you so much for joining us at My Secret Romance Book Reviews. I was fortunate enough to win your books in a contest! I’m so excited I did as I found a new series and a new author to follow! I think this series is awesome!

For our readers who are not familiar with you, can you tell us little bit about you?

Dani Worth is the pen name I use to publish erotic romances. It’s actually part of my middle name and part of my husbands. I started writing erotic romances for fun because I read a lot of them. I find myself returning to those more for rereads—especially if the author gives me a really good angsty and powerful love story along with the eroticism. I was already submitting urban fantasy, paranormal romance and YA under my own name, Rinda Elliott, so when I told my agent about a couple of erotic novellas I wrote for me, she wanted to see them. She loved them, so Dani was born. I keep the names separate so readers know to pick up a Dani book if they want an erotic story. Other than writing, I’m a voracious reader, a wife, a mother and my other hobby is making wine.
Today we’re talking about the Kithran Regenesis Series. Can you give our readers a brief introduction into the series?

Bk #1 is Kithra, which features Lux, Kol and Egan.
Bk #2 is Replicant, which features Jarana, Erik and Maska.
Bk #3 is Catalyst, which features Vala, Bastian and Jacks.

I’m a big fan of space opera books and shows and wanted to create my own worlds to explore the genre. Kithra wasn’t originally going to be a ménage romance, but Egan walked into a scene and I was hooked. I had already written a ménage called After the Crux, so I wasn’t sure I was going to stick with it in Kithra. I didn’t want to be pegged as a ménage only writer, but I honestly like the theme. It’s such a fun challenge to write three into a love story. Plus, it’s impossible to say no to Egan. Once I came to understand the Gwinarians, I decided to make all the books in the series ménage. If I ever tweet about having a rough day, one of my readers tells me it’s time for an Egan cuddle. Love that!

How did the idea for Kithra and all the tragedy that follows on this planet come about?

I knew I wanted to write about a spaceship captain who loved to fly being stuck on a dead planet. I actually hadn’t planned to write further in this world, but I got curious myself. Why did the planet explode? How many Gwinarians were off planet and what would it be like to bring them home for a rebuild? I’ve always been drawn to stories of survival, where people work together to rebuild a society. Plus, the Gwinarians deserved more stories. They have such a lovely way of life.


I love the Gwinarian philosophy on love and relationships. I think it’s a unique way of looking at things. And being another species makes it a little easier buy into as a reader. What made you decide to make Gwinarians like this?

I wish our world were more like this. The Gwinarians don’t put love into boxes. As long as everyone is a consenting adult, all love relationships are fully accepted and encouraged. It’s wonderful to write in a world where a man can kiss either of his partners in public and not receive any grief over it.   

Now in Replicant we have a bit of gender bending going on. That was absolutely wild! I loved it! It really shows you can’t help who you fall in love with! How hard was it for you to keep that one straight in your head as you were writing it?

It actually wasn’t hard at all, but that’s because I didn’t focus this story on the Replicant. It was Jarana’s story foremost because she’s the one who had to deal with the absolute heartbreak of returning to her home planet after everyone she loved had died. I do kind of wish I’d drawn out more of the conflict of falling in love with a woman only to learn she’s a man, but that story came to me hard and fast. Out of all the books I’ve written, this is actually one of my favorites. I wrote on anything I could get my hands on. My family had a car show trip planned and I carried around a notebook and scribbled in it every single time we stopped. I scribbled while walking…ran into stuff. I had just sold Kithra and realized I loved the Kithran world and wanted to keep writing in it. I actually want to explore more of the relationship between these three characters from Replicant, so it’s possible there will be more about them. I’m actually working on a free short story about them now. (I share free short stories from the Kithran and the Crux worlds in a newsletter. So far, there have been two stories. The second, Mutiny, features Kol, Lux and Egan from Kithra! I fell in
love with Kol and Egan all over again in that story.) But I’m completely in love with the idea of loving a person for who they are. I’ve always enjoyed the “gay for you” theme because it’s a wonderful concept—falling for a person and realizing you’re attracted to everything that makes up that person. There’s also the mystery and wonder of new discovery. That can be pretty hot!

In Catalyst we find out things aren’t as originally thought in the first two. I loved that twist to the story. Are we going to find out more about that in a later story? I’m really hoping this is NOT the last of that series!

Oh, this isn’t the last of the series. I have two more stories planned in this world. Origin is book four and it features the space pirates who had a small, secondary role in Catalyst. It’s also about Siri, a Gwinarian who was kidnapped off planet as a child. These characters will discover more of the overall thread which is the discovery of what happened to Kithra. It’s a longer book like Catalyst. The fifth book is called Redemption. I don’t want to give this one away, but it is the final planned in the overall arc and will be a real challenge. I’m looking forward to writing this one! I may write more books in the Kithran world though. I get requests for more books about Replicant aliens and I do love the Gwinarians.  

Who was your favorite character and why?

This is the HARDEST question. Right now, it’s Anders—because I’m writing him and enjoying the challenge. He’s one of the space pirates in Origin. Poor man is really, really trying to make up for being bad. I’m also pretty attached to Jarana. She can be such a bitch, but inside she’s all gooey. I also love Egan, Maska… you know, I love all my characters. <G>


What do you want people to come away with when they read your books?

Smiles would be the best thing. I love hearing from readers who actually reread my books because I know what it’s like to have books I go back to for enjoyment. I did hear from a reader who never thought she could enjoy a book with three people, but she likes these. If I wanted to go deeper, I’d say that I’d love for someone to come away with a changed mind when it comes to same sex relationships. I really do want to live in a world where that isn’t an issue. Finding true love is hard and nobody should be vilified for finding it in someone of their own gender.

Who is your favorite author? Why?

Oh man, this is another hard question. In urban fantasy, I like Patricia Briggs. She’s created worlds that pull me in and make me want to stay. I love her main character, Mercy. In erotic romances, I’m really enjoying the Cut and Run series. I’m a little in awe of Abigail Roux’s ability to make a reader care so much about the two main characters and how she keeps things fresh. I reread those books. A lot.

What book are you currently reading? 

Because I just came off a tough round of edits and I’m diving into a rough draft that’s due soon, I’ve been rereading for comfort. This weekend, it was Armed and Dangerous by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban.

What book is your “go to book”? You know, the one you can read anytime, however many times.

I actually have quite a few of these, but lately it’s been the Cut and Run books. I’m starting to sound like a cheerleader for Abigail Roux. <g>

Where can readers find you? 

Everywhere! LOL, I need to streamline my websites.
As Dani Worth
As Rinda Elliott (My first urban fantasy is debuting March 26th at Samhain!)


Lightening Round

Vanilla or chocolate ice cream?  Rocky Road is chocolate, right?

Beer or wine? Wine

Early bird or night owl? Night Owl

Dog person or cat person? Cat person

Chick Flick or Action Movie? Mix the two up! Give me kick-ass chicks!

Ereader or paper books? My ereader is my precious.

Thank you so much for joining us! Is there anything else you want to leave us with?

A big thank you to readers who have enjoyed my Kithran Regenesis books! I love writing these books and hope to continue them.

3 comments:

Maria D. said...

Great interview! I agree with Dani that we need to be more lie the Gwinarians and their approach to love...and yes...I consider Rocky Road chocolate...love it!..lol

Lee Anne said...

LOL! Rocky Road is definitely chocolate!

Dani Worth said...

Thanks again for the invitation. So glad my Kithran books have such a happy fan!

Dani

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...