Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Power of the Moon by Tina Carreiro


I enjoy paranormal stories. There’s a lot of leeway that is given to authors when dealing with the supernatural. Things that you can’t do a “normal” story, you can do in a paranormal one. Normally I stick with straight vamps and shifters. I rarely get into stories with ghosts or psychics. For that reason, I was hesitant with the Power of the Moon. However, the description of the book had me intrigued, so I gave it shot. And am I ever GLAD that I did!

I was hooked from the very beginning! The action starts off immediately and you’re drawn into this web of intrigue and murder. It was awesome!

Mia and Cole are both enigmatic characters. I was drawn to them both. They’ve both been hurt. However, Cole is willing to take that chance on Mia. Mia, is scared. She’s been hurt and doesn’t trust her heart with anyone very easily. Add into that, her reality has just been shattered.

I will admit I still don’t know exactly what Mia is. She’s special and has special abilities. But I’m not 100% sure what she is. It was never said outright in the book. It really adds to the mystery for me.

Cole is amazing. He’s also a man, so he’s frustrating at times. There were several times I really wanted to hit him on the head with a 2X4.  He’s had over 100 years to adjust to this reality. Mia’s had 3 days? REALLY? Give the girl a break!

One of the things that was unique about this story was the way Mia held out. She kept the goods under wraps. Now, there was still PLENTY of tension and some really steamy scenes. In fact, I’ll never ride an elevator again without thinking of this book. I’ll also never look at cemeteries the same way again. Oh boy! 

We meet some really neat characters in this story. Mia’s mothers is a riot. She’s so open and understanding. She’s exactly what Mia needs. Cole’s co-workers are diverse and bring life and color to the story. I’m really hoping we get to see more of some of them in later books.

Tina’s take on the supernatural mixes some of the old with the new. There are some things that we know about vampires and take as truth. There are also some things that Tina made her own. She put her own spin on the myth. I love getting new perspectives on the paranormal. There are so many possibilities, let them flow!


We’re left with a wonderful ending. Mia finally gives in and faces her fears. In doing so, she gives the love between her and Cole a chance. This is the first in the series and I'm looking forward to the next one. Unfortunately I think I have a few more months to wait!




1 comment:

Tina Carreiro said...

Thank you for a lovely review, Lee Anne! I'm delighted you enjoyed the read. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...