Monday, January 20, 2014

Review: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken







It's official- I think I just need to avoid every book out there that pulls high ratings and reviews because just about all of them make my shit list. Let's just cut to the chase here, shall we? This book was literally pure torture to get through.

Believe it or not, I was actually really loving the first few pages until it all went down-hill. For starters, this book features the whole insta-love theme. Just get out of here with that shit already. I'm sick of reading about it... It's completely unrealistic and stupid. The hero and heroine in this book literally fell in love after a day of meeting each other. 

ONE.
DAY.
I think they shared their first kiss after day two of meeting and were both willing to do absolutely anything in the world for each other a day after that. I just... I can't.


...And I'm sorry, but the hero wasn't drool-worthy at all to me. Not even a little bit. He was just too giddy and childish for my taste. I can see where people felt like he was a likable character- Hell, I thought I'd like him too if the cover of the book is any indication. I mean, for God's sake just look at that guy. Yet emotionally, the hero acted like a damn woman. I get it... The guy had been through hell and back and was in the midst of living anyone's worst nightmare. I sympathize, I really do. ...But all of that still didn't change the fact that he acted like a cheesy adolescent throughout the majority of the story.

As for the heroine's character... Meh. That's it. That's all I have to say. I felt bad for the past she had as well but that was about the only depth there was to her character and it wasn't even all that deep. As a matter of fact, none of these characters had depth... I couldn't connect to any of them... And they were all extremely immature. They were definitely teeny-boppers disguised as college students- They just had to be. It's the only explanation I've got. Oh, and for the record... If I were to be graded on a test where I had to tell you the names of the hero and heroine, I'd get a big fat FAIL...That's how interesting they were.

The plot was also overly convenient and extremely unrealistic. I could list a huge laundry list of reasons why but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who's actually willing to give this book a shot. Just in case you're curious though, I'll name a few things that made this story impractical without any added spoilers: For starters, the heroine somehow made a miraculous recovery from the first half of the book when she was broken, sad and depressed to the end of the book where she was strong, normal and healthy. Also, the hero and heroine's "best friend" whom she's known for all of maybe four days by the way, went from practically enemies to brothers from another mother. ...I could continue on but it's honestly just unnecessary because I don't want to be here all night.



I think the worst thing about this story though would have to be the cheesiness. Like... It was REALLY cheesy guys. I literally couldn't handle it- It honestly got so bad a few times while I was reading, that I was actually embarrassed for the characters. Oh, and a little word of warning: This book was extremely clean in content and featured absolutely no sex. ...And that's okay- I mean, a book doesn't have to feature smut galore for me to enjoy it, but a little bit would have been nice. I mean damn, give me something.

So yeah... Over-all, this book was a huge disappointment for me. There were no surprising twists. It didn't give me butterflies and it didn't make me cry. I'm honestly not trying to come off as some bad-ass emotionless asshole here but as heart-wrenching as this story was supposed to be, it just made me feel... Nothing. The only good thing I honestly have to say about the book is that it had a good message- Oh, and it was also a quick read. Had it have been any longer, I don't think I would have been able to push through it. Again, I could be in the minority when it comes to this book- After-all, it's pulled some extremely impressive ratings and reviews. However, sugary sweet and predictable just isn't my cup of tea.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...