Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: Miss Me Not by Tiffany King




 





"A shadow like me. A shadow like James. The school didn't lose a student, they lost a nobody."











Miss Me Not is one of the most emotionally provoking books I have ever read. The kind of book that brought me to my knees. The kind of book that I knew what was going to happen from the start, but was never really prepared when it did. Miss Me Not is the kind of book that leaves footprints on the soul- it's a book I'll never forget.

This is the first time I've read Tiffany King, and it sure won't be my last. I want to buy every book she's written now! Miss Me Not evoked so many emotions out of me, something that hasn't happened in a long time while reading. Writing about suicide is a touching subject on so many levels. It's definitely not something that's easily written about. You have to get deep inside the mind and write it as true as you can. This is a dark yet light read with a relatively happy ending- we're talking about suicide here, it's as happy as you can get.

Madison's well thought out suicide plan is shot to hell when a fellow student beat her, and her friend James, to the finish line. Madison feels as though she is nothing but a dull color who brings misery to everyone in her life. She figures by ending her life that no one would notice or even care. Now her planned is ruined and she's stuck living a life she hates. A life clearly no one wants her in- not even her mother.

Her teacher, who I suspect had an intuition about Madison all along, put her in tutoring classes with Dean. As much as Madison likes to believe she is nothing but a shade, she isn't. She starts to develop feelings for Dean, something she's not accustomed to. Dean brings out different sides in her that she doesn't want to experience. She's seeing things in a new light now. Madison becomes so preoccupied with Dean, that she lost touch of how and why her new life had began- and with who.

"You don't have to kiss me, but I'm going to kiss you."- Dean



I had a feeling all along about James and what his journey in this story would bring. One thing that really hurt me, nearly devastated me, was Madison's lack of concern for James. I was shocked by her actions. Once Dean came into the picture, it was like James was suddenly forgotten. He became the shade she hated being. I hated that...because I knew, I just knew what was going to happen, and I didn't want to accept it. I thought, no, no way would she let that happen. Even though this is a fictional story, I felt as though I was dying inside at times reading it.

"Denial is a tough pill to swallow."
 
Madison's mother...oh my goodness how I wanted to kill her! I hated her! She was nothing but a stuck up bitch who cared only about herself. I cried so many times for Madison and what she had to deal with. Her mother brought so much pain to her life when it should have been the opposite.

"If your so-called life is 'hell' as you say, it's no fault but your own. You chose this life." 

In the end, Miss Me Not is a book that is not to be missed. Tiffany King is another Independent author who I came across by chance, and I am so happy that I did. She hit it home with this book. I feel like she really dug deep and brought this fictional story to life...almost to real for me. Suicide is an unfortunate event that happens too often. It almost makes me wonder if the author has knowledge of this subject at close hand because of my reaction and the emotion she drew from me. Miss Me Not is a book that I feel everyone should read- all ages. It's an eye opener for sure.

Favorite lines:

“Just so you know, everyone has regrets, but it's fucked up to be continually punished for them.”



3 comments:

Maria D. said...

Your favorite line is a "Keeper" and one I'm going to print out to remember. Thanks for the review - looks like I'll be adding this to my tbr:)

Wordsmith Publicity said...

I really liked this one too. Nice review babe.

Reading For Fun said...

I can't wait to read this book!! I have it on my TBR list! Great review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...