Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: Playing With Fire (Guarded Hearts book 1) by Ashley Piscitelli



Madison Stevens has had a shitty life.  Her mother died at the age four and her father has always blamed her for it. She went through the foster system and is now attending college. Her boyfriend Chris is not willing to share Madison with anyone, not even her friends.

Her first day at college she meets Carter James, who makes her want everything she never thought she could have. She knows that she should ignore her feelings for Carter, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

As Carter and Madison begin to fall in love, they face many obstacles. Their biggest one is Chris who is not going to let her go easily.

I felt so bad for Madison, she was blamed for the death of her mother by the one person who should have taken care of her, her father.  Then she begins dating Chris and he treats her like a dog that he can abuse and control.  She knows that she needs to get away from him but feels like no one else would want her.  When she runs into Carter, literally, the connection between them is instant.  Carter knows that Chris is bad for Madison but he needs to convince her to leave him, so that he can show her how she should be treated.

As someone who has been in a violent relationship in the past, I connected with Madison.  She needed to be shown that not every man will treat her like the other ones in her life have in the past.  Once she began to blossom within the relationship with Carter, I was so happy and wanted them to be able to have a good life and relationship.

Carter was exactly who Madison needed.  He was the person who could heal her emotionally, mentally and physically.  I love Carter.  He reminds me of my savior, my husband.  He was patient with Madison when she needed it the most.  He was gentle, sweet, protective, and overall the guy she needed and deserved.

Chris, OMG I wanted to find my baseball bat and beat the living shit out of him and say how does that feel you asshole!  He just continues to make Madison’s life a living hell.  He doesn’t want to let her go and doesn’t want anyone else to have her if he can’t either.  Chris’ character was very close to real life for a lot of people, and the level he rises too is a reality check that no matter how rich or poor someone is you can never judge them based on that alone.

Now I loved this book.  I cried and smiled and jumped for joy and screamed oh hell no!  If you hate cliffhangers you may want to wait until the second book comes out because this baby has one hell of a cliffhanger!  I actually screamed out NOOOOOOOOOOOO damn it you can’t end it like this!  (And yes my husband came running thinking either I was in labor or done lost my mind.)  I was so involved in this book that I need more now!  I need to see how this plays out.  I really hope that Ms. Piscitelli hurries up and writes book two because for those who have read this book we are biting our nails to see if Carter and Madison will get their HEA.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...