Friday, May 11, 2012

Susie White and the Right Hand Man by Lucy Felthouse


To Sum it Up:

A modern retelling of the Snow White and the Huntsman fairy tale, the story follows Susie as her father meets and weds a nasty witch of a woman, Louise.  On the big day, Susie meets Scott who works for her new stepmother, and Susie’s life changes in that moment.  As time goes on, Louise cooks up an evil plan, and Susie will need Scott’s help to thwart it before it’s too late.

My Opinion:

It was cute, but felt shallow and too short.

My Thoughts:

This is a really short story, so there isn’t too much I can say without giving the entire thing away.  While we’re provided with the backstory to Susie’s life as Louise enters it, I didn’t feel much of a connection with her.  Then we meet Scott and I really liked him.  He’s got a smartass personality, a good heart, and he’s very sexy.  However, we see almost nothing of their courtship.

When the conflict reaches its climax, the solution feels unrealistic.  The story ends up involving magic, and it just never quite feels very believable.  So while I thought it was kind of a cute modern version of Snow White, I just didn’t quite feel it, and I think a large part of the problem is that it was just way too short.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...