Thursday, May 31, 2012

ARC Review: Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex



Sally is the daughter and sister of men who belong to the sea. Her youngest brother has a calling to the church and disappears when he is to report to ship duty. Sally decides to save the family honor by taking disguising herself as her brother and taking his place on the ship. Colyear is the first lieutenant on the ship and family friend. Will he recognize Sally for who she really is? Can they resist the attraction growing between them?

I found this to be an interesting read. I enjoyed it but did not find it to be a page-turner. I had no problems putting the book down and coming back to it later.  It wasn’t until the last 25% of the book that I found myself hesitant to put it down and kept reading no matter what else was going on around me.

It took me some time to figure out while I enjoyed the book it didn’t hold my attention as steadfastly. I finally came to the realization that it was because I didn’t really have a vested interest in either Sally or Colyear until close to the end of the book.

These type of book is where I first found my love or romance stories. I was really looking forward to reading this book and feel a little let down only because I wanted to REALLY like it.

The history and battles described in Ms. Essex’s book is fantastic and provides a beautiful landscape for the story

2 comments:

Maria D. said...

Good review! I am intrigued by the heroine disguising herself as a man and going aboard a ship full of men and them not recognizing that she's a woman.

The_Book_Queen said...

Great review-- I'm sorry it wasn't as great as you had hoped! I have this one in my pile now, should be reviewing it soon, so we'll see how it goes... :)

Enjoy!
TBQ
TBQ's Book Palace

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...