Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Night Bird by Tereasa Blue


 

To Sum it Up:

Travis Howland washes up on shore at Emma’s feet, begging for help.  She gifts him with a little extra time to tie up loose ends in his life, but when he wakes, he’s not very receptive to what she has to say.  No one accepts death easily, but Travis is even more skeptical when told of his own.  He’s not a believer in anything really, and now he’s forced take a strange woman’s word on faith, and let go of his life.  His decision will mean the difference between justice and failure when it comes to revenge on the man that betrayed him.

My Opinion:

I think this book had a lot of potential, but fell short overall.

My Thoughts:

The story starts quickly, with Emma stumbling upon the washed up body of Travis, and as he asks for help, she makes a quick decision to grant him a little extra time.  She fears how he’ll respond to her gift given the cost.  Will he understand everything she has to tell him?  Will he use his time wisely?  Will he make the choice she finds herself yearning for him to make?  She can only find out when he finally wakes, transformed.

I think it’s kind of a neat concept that the author portrays, but I feel its execution was messy.  I spent the majority of the story trying to figure out and understand the big picture of what exactly they were and what that meant for them.  Despite the bits and pieces of the backstory and buildup, I felt no real connection to either character other than some pity for the circumstances surrounding both of their deaths and resulting afterlives.  The romance also felt opportunistic and superficial, and I was disappointed that we never even got to see them fully explore it.  The only particular part I liked was the resolution in the last page or two.  Unfortunately, it is with a heavy heart that I must say this one fell flat with me and I just didn’t enjoy it at all.  

1 comment:

teresa said...

Thank you, Buffy, for your review. I'm sorry you didn't connect, but I appreciate your time spent on the story. : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...