Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Remembrance by Michelle Madow


2 Stars!

To sum it up: Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind? ...Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy...


Ehhh.


*sigh* ...Unfortunately, this isn't going to be a review filled with rants and ravings about how much I loved this story. What I do love, is themes revolving around unrequited and forbidden love- which was one reason that I was really excited to read this one, and had high hopes that it would be a keeper. Now don't get me wrong... their were parts of this book that really grabbed me... but for the most part, I just wanted to get it over with, and start on something new. (Obviously, not a good sign.)

I'll start off by saying that the characters in this novel seemed very one-dimensional and bland. Every one of them just fell flat for me, and even as the story progressed, I was never able to really connect with anyone on an emotional level, which is an absolute must for me. I felt that Lizzie and Drew seemed to fall in love, without any real interaction or reason, aside from the whole "magical past connection." Though their relationship is destined from the beginning, the "insta-love" between them just felt rushed and superficial.

Also, I found the numerous references to Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice a bit annoying... I can see where the author was trying to go with this, but in my opinion, it felt like a consistent (and boring) filler.

Once again, I seem to be a minority in this one. As much as I really wanted to, I just couldn't bring myself to love this book- the story was far from anything to write home about... all-in-all, Remembrance most definitely won't be remembered.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...