Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen




To sum it up: For eighteen year-old Gemma, life has never been normal. Up until recently, she has been incapable of feeling emotion. And when she's around Alex, the gorgeous new guy at school, she can feel electricity that makes her skin buzz. Not to mention the monsters that haunt her nightmares have crossed over into real-life. But with Alex seeming to hate her and secrets popping up everywhere, Gemma's life is turning into a chaotic mess. Things that shouldn't be real suddenly seem to exist. And as her world falls apart, figuring out the secrets of her past becomes a matter of life and death...

This has to be one of the most unromantic books that I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

This book started off with potential. As a matter of fact, I was hooked from the moment I started... but once the whole super-natural element came into play, it completely went down-hill from there on out. I have so many issues with this book, I don't know where to even begin. I guess I should start with the most important factor: where was the freaking romance? The only thing that I got out of this book in the romantic aspect is the constant "buzzing" connection Gemma felt every time she was either around Alex and/or touching him. ...and I think I get that she likes him after the MILLIONTH reminder of this sensation. For the love of God...

Another thing this book lacked, was detail. Guys. ...DETAIL. What good romance novel lacks detail? Tell me about what the heroine looks like! Tell me about the town she grew up in! Tell me more about the way the hero, Alex looks, or his sister Aislin! There was just absolutely NO background on any of these characters! I mean for goodness sake... how are you supposed to relate and connect to a character on an emotional level, when you know nothing about them?

Now, I love jerk heroes- tell me about a romance novel involving a jerk hero, and I'm willing to give it a try. But Alex was a jerk in a completely different way than what my taste longs for. He repeatedly lied to her, kept things from her, and deliberately distracts her on a 24/7 basis- which would be completely fine and understandable if he had his reasons. But we don't even know why he continuously does this... as readers, we're left to think that he's only using her for selfish and dangerous purposes. There was never a reason given that could condone his behavior, which was completely frustrating. I’m not quite sure what the author was trying to achieve with Alex's character, but whatever it was, I never understood it. He wasn't your typical handsome broody guy, which I think was what he was supposed to be portrayed as... but instead, I found him to be a brainwashed, pathological liar.

The plot itself, including the romance aspect, was a complete drag. And of course, since this is the start of a new series, nothing gets solved. And I definitely don't have the time, patience, or interest to put up with these characters/story long enough, to find out what happens next. Over-all, I'd say that this book ended up being a complete waste of $.99 cents. That's right... I said it. $.99 cents, WASTED. POOF. GONE. ...I'm just going to delete this book out of my kindle library, and forget that it even existed. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...