Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Treacherous Temptations by Victoria Vane

Victoria Vane writes some of the most intriguing stories! Mary Edwardes has been living in the country, enjoying her life. Her guardian, Sir Richard, informs her it’s time for her to marry and must come to London to find a husband. Little does she know, her guardian plans to use her to further his own interests. He doesn’t care anything about her happiness, only his own.

Hadley has been out of England for the last seven years. Living a life he didn’t really want. When he returns to England he finds himself the pawn of others once again. How will he ever break free.

Barbara is Mary Edwardes companion and Hadley’s step-mother. She has her own plans. She wants to be free of Sir Richard and keep Hadley for herself.

Mary Edwardes and Hadley are put upon a course that will alter their lives forever. Along the way they find themselves falling for each other. But when Mary finds out the truth about Hadley will she continue to trust him?

I love Victoria Vane’s stories. They seldom follow the traditional formula for historical romances and I find that very refreshing and often intriguing.

Treacherous Temptations continues the tradition of Victoria Vane novels by being unexpected! This story has a darker edge to it than most of Victoria Vane’s novels. It’s more sinister and it did not appear we would get an HEA out of it.

Sir Richard and Barbara were absolutely despicable. I couldn’t stand either one of them. They are vile people and it definitely came through!

Hadley was interesting. I wanted to like him and at times I did while at others I detested him. It was quite a quandary for me.  I did finally end up liking him in the end but it was touch and go for a while.

Mary Edwardes started out completely likable but I quickly found myself frustrated with her. She was so naïve and trusting. Even after Barbara was so mean to her, Mary continued to trust her. I just wanted to shake her!

The intrigue of the story kept me glued to the pages, as I wanted to discover if Hadley and Mary would get their HEA. I had to know if they discovered the plot between Sir Richard and Mary. 


1 comment:

Maria D. said...

I love a good historical and Ms. Vane's books never disappoint. Thanks for the review

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...