Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: First Strike by Pamela Clare

I was super excited to start this story, only because I'm a HUGE Pamela Clare fan and I adore her I-Team series- She's not only a talented writer but the woman sure as hell knows how to write some drool-worthy alpha heroes. I've been on a huge romantic suspense kick lately and just had a feeling that the next installment to this series would definitely satisfy my current needs. However, while I did enjoy this short prequel I did have a few small issues that has me a little iffy about going into the full novel.
This story starts out in Dubui where unmarried sex is illegal. The heroine and hero meet unexpectedly and enjoy a short weekend breaking the law by getting it on- What's not to like about that? The thing I love so much about Pamela's writing is the fact that even though the main focus is set on Laura and Javier's evolving relationship, she still never lets you forget the danger that surrounds them constantly. They know that acting on their sexual urges could bring severe punishment to them both, yet they threw caution to the wind and gave in anyway...

The novella mainly focuses on their growing attraction and sexual encounters which I didn't mind in the least... I did however have an issue with the heroine. Personally, I'm more into sweet and innocent heroines without a take-charge attitude- Hence my problem with Laura. She was a pretty sexually assertive character which is something I don't tend to care for personally. This is one of the main reasons I'm a bit hesitant to go into Striking Distance- I just don't think I'm going to be able to stomach handling a woman with balls as big as her man's, if you catch my drift.

I am going to take a second here and gush about the hero, Javier though...

Come to mama'... There's just something about a tall, dark and handsome man that makes me weak in the knees. Oh, and did I mention he speaks Spanish?

"'I want to feel you. Drop the bra, bella.'
Bella.
Spanish for 'beautiful.'"


...Be still my fucking heart. The author even managed to bring out his protective instincts a bit, which only made me fall for him all the more harder. There was just one teensy-weensy big issue that I had, although it doesn't have to do with Javier or Laura's character per se... But... The whole "insta-lust" factor did show its ugly face in this story. I know, I know... This is only a prequel to the full length novel so introductions tend to be short and to the point- I get it and I understand. That still didn't change my mind about how I felt about it... There's just something about the whole "insta-love" factor that makes a story feel extremely unrealistic- It also takes away from the emotional depth and character development that's needed in every book out there.

With all that being said though, I still enjoyed this short story and am looking forward to Striking Distance... I do have my hesitance about it, but to be fair it's all due to personal pet peeves of mine. I have no doubt in my mind though that despite the few issues I had with this short introduction, Pamela Clare is going to add another fabulous installment to the I-Team series.

PS: For the record, this can be read as a stand-alone. It's been years since I've read any of the other books in this series and I was still able to understand this one with no issues what-so-ever.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...