Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review: First Position by Prescott Lane


Emory faces life’s challenges at the one place that’s never failed her, the ballet barre. But even the barre can’t steady her when fate brings her face-to-face with her old college flame, Mason, who’s hoping to return to the NFL after a career-threatening injury. Before they can surrender to their sexual desires and find salvation in each other’s arms, they need to come to terms with their past. Mason must confront the demons that have set him on a path of self-destruction, while Emory must decide whether to keep her painful secrets locked away, or expose them and risk losing the love of her life. But nothing can prepare Mason for what Emory has kept hidden, or the possibility that he himself may be to blame for the very secrets she keeps – and why they continue to haunt her


Our Reviews:
First Position is a story about second chances. Two college sweethearts, broken up before graduation. Now, years later, they meet by chance.

Daniel Mason is an NFL Quarterback. He’s injured and looking for a team. While in Charlotte he runs into his college girlfriend. The one he left. He wants her back.

Emory isn’t sure what Mason wants. She never stopped loving him. But he broke her heart once.

I liked the whole reunion aspect of the relationship. The second chance at doing things all over again. That’s so sweet and wonderful.

Now, I did get frustrated with both Mason and Emory. Mason frustrated me to no end because he kept things from Emory. However, those things weren’t really necessary for Emory to know. It would have been nice if Mason shared, but again, his call.

Emory pissed me right the hell off! OMG! I stayed mad her! She would get so mad at Mason for not telling her things, but she kept things from him. The things Mason kept weren’t really her business, but being in a relationship, he should share. Now, Emory’s secret. Oh Yeah! She should have told Mason! BAD EMORY!

It was a sweet story. There’s an underlying Christian theme to the story. It wasn’t overbearing, it was just part of who Mason and Emory were. It guided some of their actions and lent credence to their personalities and decisions. They still irritated me!

The synopsis of this book sounded very promising, so I picked it up and read it for an honest review. This is the first book from Prescott Lane. The writing style was a bit disjointed and took some time for me to get used to. It could have been a formatting issue, but it was hard to tell at times who the dialogue was coming from in a conversation. Many times throughout the book there was a lot of “telling” me as reader what happened instead of showing me. I understand that this makes the story move faster and gives me a lot more details, which I enjoy as a reader, but it does diminish the experience (italic) of the story as a reader.

So that was the bad news, but the great news is that these two characters Emory and Mason really resonated with me. They truly knew that should be together, and who doesn’t love a story of rekindled love. They made huge mistakes in their past and were ready to fix it. This doesn’t mean that they jump right into bed with each other. Yet the author knows how to draw out the sexual tension and the lead up is pretty hot. There are some flashbacks early in the book into their past, so the book has plenty of steam throughout.

The author takes a chance and inserts a significant amount religion, namely Catholicism into this book. There are bible verses referred to throughout. Mason’s character talks about losing his way, and rejoining the church. I was on the fence about how I felt about it at first, but for these characters and this story, it worked.

I really think that most readers will enjoy the story and the characters connection to one another. How the characters reconnect and fall back in love with each other, and work through their past issues is touching.




Having a second chance at love is something a lot of us have wished for, and First Position is a book about just that.  The connection between Emory and Mason is so strong that, for me at least, I wanted them back together from the start.  Emory was a ballerina and Mason is a NFL football player looking for a new team.  Complete opposites career wise but perfect for each other in every other way.  Their past is one of heartbreak. 

Mason was a massive douchebag to Emory and it cost him a lot more than he knows.  He has changed though and when he sees Emory again he knows that no matter what he has to win her back and have her in his life, she is what completes him.  He knows he did Emory wrong all those years ago and has his work cut out for him to win her heart back.  He does do the one thing that I absolutely hate in relationships, both in real life and in books, he keeps things from her constantly. 

Emory was a ballerina whose dreams got cut tragically short when her dream of dancing ended.  Not only had she lost her dream, she had lost Mason and so much more in a short period of time.  She loved Mason and when he walked away it broke her.  Emory did keep something major from Mason, and while again it is something I hate I understood why she did at the time.  When Emory tells Mason everything that she went through it broke my heart not only for his reaction but for what she went through in the past.

I really enjoyed this book.  Having a second chance with who your one true love is, is something that for me just melts my heart.  There is an underlying Christian theme to this book and normally that is something that would normally not be something I like in my books, but it worked.  It wasn’t over the top and in your face constantly.  This is the first book by Prescott Lane that I have read and I look forward to seeing more from this author in the future.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...