Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: The Wikomsette by Emerald Lavere

Regina gets through her life day by day.  She is alone, her husband dies four years earlier, she has no family or friends and she likes it this way.  She hasn’t gotten over the loss of her husband so each day is a struggle for her.  One minute she is walking to her car, the next she is in this jungle.  Thinking that possibly she passed out and hit her head that everything is just some delusion caused by head trauma.  Quickly she learns that is so not the case when she meets a group of men speaking a language she doesn’t know who are all looking at her like she is a piece of prime rib when all they have had is ground round for years.

Regina quickly learns that these 8 men won’t allow her to be lonely, as they are her tribe.  She was promised to them, she is the Wikomsette.  She at first is unaware of what this means but finds out fast that she is in essence their wife.  Each man is different in their own way, one though refuses to ever be with her and one creeps her out.  The rest though, each have their own way to bringing her pleasure, each are so different, but there are three that she must watch out for because they will be the ones that will hurt her heart if they get too close.

Slowly Regina begins to piece together what is going on, but until she can get answers from Niku, the leader of the group, then she will have to just find ways to get her answers.  When something happens and Regina is separated from the group, she quickly finds out she had no idea the scope of what was going on.  She is scared that she will never see her men again and almost is lost forever in this time.  When she is found she is finally told what has been happening and some of the truths she learns are heart breaking to her.  She doesn’t know what to do about her feelings for her men and for what she found out especially knowing that their time together is limited.

I will be completely honest, I had read The Wikomsette as a beta as a favor for a friend and the first time I read it I hated it.  When this same friend asked me to review it I was like I hated it when I Beta read it I am pretty sure I am going to hate it now.  Well I couldn’t have been more wrong.  I liked it when I read it this time.  It is different, it is fantasy and romance and a little erotic but it works.  The connection that Regina feels towards her men is all as different as each man is.  Some she has more feeling towards than others, and there is one who holds her heart.  Knowing that their time is limited makes you ask yourself, what will happen, will she be ok when she returns, will she beg to join them, will they stay with her and keep her from the loneliness that was her life before becoming the Wikomsette? 

Ms. Lavere has made me want to explore more fantasy romance with her book.  I actually would love a follow up to this, maybe from the men’s POV.  So if you are on the fence about reading this book, go ahead jump on the reading side and give it an honest chance, or an honest second chance like I did.  I think you may enjoy it.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...