Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Naughty Nooner Review: Beats (Hard Rock Harlots #2) by Kendall Grey



For months, shy drummer Jinx Hardwick has been silently crushing on her tall, dark, and scary bandmate, Toombs Badcock. Drawn to his frightening ink and scars, she yearns to uncover the shadowy secrets lurking behind his silver eyes, but Jinx is too intimidated to even look at him, let alone talk to him. When she stumbles upon Toombs and their manipulative lead guitarist Rax in a compromising position, Jinx realizes her chances of winning Toombs’s heart aren’t just a long shot—they’re nonexistent. To make matters worse, Jinx’s family needs her at home. She’s about to back away from it all—Toombs, the band, her dreams of fame and fortune—when Rax makes her an offer she can’t refuse: a no-holds-barred night alone with Toombs. There’s one small catch. She has to go through Rax to get it.

REVIEWS:

Jinx has lost her mojo, her umph, her Beats. She tries to get it back but things keep getting in the way, like her family she worries about, Rax's advances she tries to ignore and then Toombs who she wants just for herself. Jinx has a crush on Toombs that we saw in Strings. She wants him but she's very intimidated by Rax cause of his relationship with Toombs. When things get tough for Jinx's family, Rax makes a proposition to Jinx that she can't refuse.

Now from here, things for me, went OffBeats. I didn't understand Rax's character and I didn't think he was like that with the way he treated Toombs and Jinx. I mean, I knew he could be an asshole but not that much of an asshole. Hopefully in the next book we get some insight on him. Toombs is a mystery and as we get to know him, little bit of his secrets are slowly revealed. I had to get my mind of out of the dom/sub and into sadist/masochist. Toombs likes to be hurt, bad. That's his thing and Rax has/had been giving it to him and now that he isn't it's up for Jinx to. When the word domme is mentioned it thru me off. I don't care for the term but I'm glad Kendall didn't take us there and I love how Jinx asked Toombs to call her her real name instead of mistress. That I adored.

Jinx and Toombs have chemistry. The sex is hot. Hell even asshole Rax is hot. Rax and Toombs together...THUD. There are drumsticks involved and even drums which I found funny cause of the visual I had (imagine banging two dicks on a drum kit...hard). I enjoyed Beats now am impatiently waiting for Nocturnes.



OMG! Beats did me in.  I was not prepared for this to be an emotional read and I’m so glad of that because I think it hit me that much more.  My heart ached for Toombs and Jinx.  Jinx has serious feelings for Toombs and for a while she thought he felt the same way till she walked in on something she shouldn’t have.  Now she’s confused, torn, and has lost her mojo.  Not to mention things back home are rough for her family.  She’s undecided between staying with the band and fighting for her dreams or throwing it all away and heading home where she thinks she belongs. 

Toombs does have feelings for her, but it’s not up to him to decide.  He and Rax are a package deal.  You don’t get one without the other.  Rax, I knew from the previous book, was a complete and utter ass.  However, I did not know the extent of it.  He’s controlling and manipulative.  He knows how much Toombs means to Jinx and he plays on her emotions. 

Seriously, there are so many scenes that struck me emotionally.  But one in particular just gutted me.  My heart cried out for Toombs. 

In the end I think Jinx and Toombs both came out stronger people.  And sadly, Rax just showed us all how damaged he is.  As much as he pissed me off, I am looking forward to his story.  I want to see him redeem himself.  I know there’s got to be a good guy buried in there somewhere.  




This is one screwed up sex triangle (yes I said sex triangle if you want to know why I say that read the book!) that makes you want to punch someone one minute and grab your vibrator the next.  I loved the connection between Jinx and Toombs.  All Jinx wanted was to be with Toombs, Toombs wanted to be with Jinx too but it couldn’t be that simple.  Jinx had to go through Rax get to Toombs.  
Jinx doubted her talent.  She had a lot on her plate that she didn’t share with anyone.  She was trying to support not only herself but help out her family back home.  She needed to prove to herself that she was as good a drummer as Toombs, and no one could do that except for herself.
Toombs broke my heart at times.  He thinks he deserves how Rax treats him at times, and he does love Rax.  He also is falling hard for Jinx.  Jinx brings out this other side of him.  I think I fell in love with Toombs while reading this book.

Rax, what can I say about Rax, he is a complete and utter douchebag that I honestly want to punt in the balls but love at the same time.  There is more to him than what we have seen so far.  He loves Toombs in his own screwed up way.  I honestly can’t wait to read his book because there is so much more to him than what we have seen.
Beats is a funny, make you scream WHAT THE FUCK type of book and if you don’t have an open mind, are easily offended or don’t have a sense of humor then then I suggest you don’t read it.  But, if you do then you will love this book.  It is also emotional and heartbreaking at times too.  I freaking loved this book!

 
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...