Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: Poughkeepsie by Debra Anatasia

He counts her smiles every day and night at the train station. And morning and evening, the beautiful commuter acknowledges him—just like she does everyone else on the platform. But Blake Hartt is not like the others . . . he’s homeless. Memories of a broken childhood have robbed him of peace and twisted delusions into his soul. He stays secluded from the sun, sure the world would run from him in the harsh light of day.

Each day, Livia McHugh smiles politely and acknowledges her fellow commuters as she waits for the train to the city. She dismisses this kindness as nothing special, just like her. She’s the same as a million other girls—certainly no one to be cherished. But special or not, she smiles every day, never imagining that someone would rely on the simple gesture as if it were air to breathe.

When the moment comes that Livia must do more than smile, without hesitation she steps into the fray to defend the homeless man. And she's surprised to discover an inexplicable connection with her new friend. After danger subsides, their smiles become conversation. Their words usher in a friendship, which awakens something in each of them. But it’s not long before their bond must prove its strength. Entanglements from the past challenge both their love and their lives.
Blake’s heart beats for Livia’s, even if her hands have to keep its rhythm. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. Love never fails, right?

In an interwoven tale of unlikely loves and relationships forged by fire, Debra Anastasia takes readers into the darkest corners of human existence, only to show them the radiant power of pure adoration and true sacrifice. Complicated families and confused souls find their way to light in this novel, which manages to be racy, profane, funny, and reverent all at once.


 OUR REVIEWS:

Dear Poughkeepsie,

Hello, little quirky book. You had me thinking that accidentally picked up a paranormal book at first. I hate vamps. But no worries, you weren't that, just the counter to the paradigm for romance books. The hero was homeless? Jobless? He spoke "old-timey fancy talk"? Yeah, not my thing either. You felt like a odd modern day fairytale at times. Like Edward Scissor Hands, and maybe I wasn't getting the "art" of it.

But never fail, in a weird turn of events you pulled me into your 384 pages and wouldn't let me quit you. I had to find out what was happening with all of the characters that were so odd but painted so vividly. They were a motley crew. Oddly enough, your shining star was Becket. I was instantly in love and longing for him to come back into scene. And when he did, he delivered everything I wanted and more in a rambunctious bad boy. Drug dealing, prostitute pimping, gun running. Yeah, it doesn't matter. He's your best trait Poughkeepsie. And Eve. Stop right there. Their relationship broke me into little pieces. I know I'm not alone because I saw on GR that you are making a return performance in Dec of 2013 and giving us all what we want so bad, MORE BECKET AND EVE! Thank you, thank you, you are a good little story.

Oh and you didn't think that you had enough oddity, that you had to add bow chicka wow wow in a Catholic church? I didn't know if I should barf or be offended, but you went there, you went there. Runner up for favorite character was Kyle, Livia's sister. Her foul mouth and sharp wit had me rolling.

So I loved your supporting characters Poughkeepsie, but listen up, because this is your best attribute. You took two characters led them through a modern day Alice in Wonderland path, and along the way introduced some vibrant and odd characters. So you grabbed my attention with them and I knew I'd get more later. Then, like Oprah giving away cars, EVERYBODY GETS A BACKSTORY!! Every one of these great character gets a flashback of their past. And the back stories were SO DAMN GOOD. High drama and unique.

So Poughkeepsie, I probably won't forget you and the story you had to tell. I'll definitely be back to read more about my new loves Becket and Eve. So it's a date. Make it good and naughty the way we know they can be. I know you wont' let me down. It will be interesting to say the least.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...