Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: Fury of Fire by Coreene Callahan

OMG! OMG! OMG! Ok, now that I’ve got that out of my system. OMG!  I LOVED this book.  In the first 70 pages we had hot alpha males looking to hook up, a full scale dragon battle, a newborn baby, love at first sight and the McDonalds Big Mac jingle. This book was 400 pages of pure adrenaline mixed in with hot sex and even sexier dragonshifters!

As I was reading this book I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between this series of characters and those in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series (BDB). I love BDB. While the characters and parts of the storyline (2 factions fighting-one evil, one good, and the good guys are smoking hot!), the Dragonfury series is independent and unique. Her writing style is also very different from Ward’s. So, while I definitely draw comparisons between the two, they are in no way exactly alike.

I like the way Coreene dove right into the story, no backbuilding or history. She just throws the reader right in, sink or swim. She also starts out with a bang. There’s a dragon fight before you even get out of the starting gate! All of this adds to the adrenaline pumping for the reader. The battles are well described and full of action, I could see the battles in my mind. It was almost like watching my own personal movie. Coreene managed to do this without boring me with so many details I wanted to scream. The imagery flowed with the battle and was a natural element to the descriptions. The one place the imagery failed me was the description of the house where Bastian and his men live. I’m hoping as we get more descriptions in later books, it will become more clear in my mind.

The love story between Bastian and Myst is out of this world. I like how Myst keeps fighting what’s going on with Bastian, because, really? Dragons? But once they touch, all bets are off. This is all due to the energy Myst wields. We learn a little about the Meridian and the energy that flows from the Meridian through Myst in this story. We also learn of the importance of that energy to the dragons. I still feel a little lost when it comes to that aspect of the story and I’m hoping we learn more about it in the coming books.

The tension and the subsequent releasing of the tension between Myst and Bastian was hawt, hawt, hawt. Did I mention it was HAWT!!! The mental imagery of Myst flying over the table, sending china flying to get to Bastian is not one that will leave me anytime soon!

In addition to all of the hot sex, smoking hot alpha men and the adrenaline rush, I love the way Coreene has introduced us to the next female to get sucked into their world. In fact, she left us with a cliffhanger at the end. And I do love a good cliffhanger!

Overall this is a very good book and I can’t wait to read more. The second one has already been released and I’ll be picking it up shortly so I can continue with the series. I will have to pace myself though, as the third one doesn’t come out until November and the fourth isn’t even listed yet. So, while I love cliffhangers and really good series, I HATE waiting for the next books to come out. I am not a patient woman!

One last note, how can you not love a book that has the McDonald’s  Big Mac theme song, Maxwell House commercial theme and a libido screaming Pick Me! Pick Me! Pick Me!? I mean come on! How often to do you find that in a book?


1 comment:

Maria D. said...

Lol Fun Review! I have this on my kindle but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...