Friday, March 20, 2015

Review: Taking Chances By Molly McAdams

Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family, and emotions. She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with both her new boyfriend, Brandon, and her roommate's brother, Chase. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both men adore Harper and would do anything for her, including taking a step back if it would mean she'd be happy.


Normally I wait until after the tears have stopped flowing before I write a review, it kind of helps with the whole seeing the screen thing but I am almost compelled to do this right now.  I just previously read another of Molly McAdams’ series when my self-proclaimed book bestie Gabrielle (although she really is) almost bullied me into reading Taking Chances saying that this will shred me but I have to read it.  So I gave in pretty quickly and said okay let’s see what all the fuss is about.  I wish I could share my text messages that I sent her during my reading of Taking Chances, but I will spare you my sometime curse word creative bitching while at the same time couldn’t put it down messages about my feelings while reading.

We have Harper, Chase and Brandon in a love triangle that has your emotions on high alert from almost the start.  Chase is this asshole who can get under Harper’s skin like no other but she is falling in love with the bad boy while she is in a relationship with Brandon, the good guy who even though I tried to hate him because I was team Chase from the get go I just couldn’t.  (Bite me Gabrielle I know when you read this you will say some smart ass comment.)  We watch both relationships begin and end because of feelings that can’t be denied aren’t and hearts are broken.  I am warning you right here and now you will need boxes (yes boxes damn it) of tissues because something happens that not only makes you violently throw your kindle one minute but has you so broken down the next that you have to re-read what you just read to make sure it actually says what it does.  Hell here come the tears again just thinking about it. 

Now, am I conflicted about events that happen later in the book?  Yes I am.  Did it make me hate the book?  No it didn’t and do you know why?  Because it still made me feel all those heart wrenching feelings I had felt from the start, but just for another reason this time.  I want to read Stealing Harper right now to get Chase’s POV but I am waiting because I am so emotionally distraught and drained from Taking Chances that I need to go into it with fresh emotions. 


I want to say thank you Gabrielle for making me read this book and I still love you despite what I said to you in my texts when my emotions were so high from what I was reading.  I also want to say that Molly McAdams, damn women you know how to totally destroy your readers and have the talented ability to make us feel so many different emotions that we just don’t know how to turn off those emotions when we are finished with the book.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...