Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review: Killing Sarai by J.A. Redmerski



Holy.
Freaking.
Shit.

Mother.
Of.
God.














...Before I go on any further in my review, I need to just go ahead and put this out there: This is BY FAR the best book that I think I've ever read.
Ahhhmaazing.

I literally devoured this book in a matter of hours. That was no easy task, let me just go ahead and be clear on that. I literally had to hide my phone half-way under my keyboard at work like my life depended on it in order to avoid the evil that is management. Fortunately I didn't get caught, but this book would have been damn worth it if I had.

I honest to God can't go into any detail when it comes to this story- I won't even give you a tiny hint towards any sort of insight about it... I just can't do it. There were so many unbelievable twists and turns throughout this book that not only kept me on the edge of my seat, but threw me off guard more times than I could count. Just when I thought the story was going one way... BOOM! ...You're surprised with another set of unpredictable turn of events.
I will say this: If you have a weak stomach, walk away from the book. I repeat... Walk away from the book. The author goes into such amazing detail throughout this story like no one else I've ever read- That detail includes killing and gore, therefore if that kind of thing turns you off then this isn't the story for you. With that being said...

The hero Victor, is flawless officially my favorite book boyfriend.


The man is the ultimate BAD. ASS. He's a cold-blooded paid assassin and the best of the best at his job. I think what makes his character all the more deadlier is the fact that not only is he a pro with a gun but he's extremely quiet, reserved and intimidating. He's always gone through life emotionless and unattached to anyone or anything; Too disciplined and unemotional for involvement. The man may be scary as hell but he's also filthy rich and to-die-for swoon-worthy. Mix that in with his lack of emotions, protectiveness and don't-fuck-with-me attitude, and there you have it ladies and gentleman... Perfection.

Victor is most definitely my favorite kind of hero to read about- He's completely closed off and solely focused on completing the assignment he has ahead of him. He always has a plan and is always one step ahead of it at all times. A woman is the furthest thing from Victor's mind and the last thing he needs- He doesn't have room for love in his heart and what he does for a living certainly forbids it. Ultimately, he's a killer. Confident... Precise... And determined. Nothing or no one ever gets in his way... That is, until he meets the heroine Sarai. He knows he can't risk her being anywhere near him, but yet he can't bare to leave her side either. His protectiveness makes an appearance whenever she's involved which is not only conflicting for him but makes things much more complicated...

I really and truly loved Sarai's character. She's extremely strong for a girl who's been thrown into a life that would break the spirit of any woman. From the first moment she was introduced, I instantly connected with her. She was full of so much strength, despite how broken she felt on the inside. ...But more than that, she was the only one who could manage to break through Victor's defenses. It was so refreshing to see a female lead as strong as Sarai was, without being too over-bearing. She had learned to adjust to danger by blocking out her fears and emotions- A convincing facade for the sake of survival.

The thing I loved most about this book was how slowly the relationship between these two unfolds. The story alternated point of views between these two flawlessly and you were able to get a small hint into what both of them were feeling at the time, leaving you with just the right amount of suspense without giving too much away. Honest to God, J.A. Redmerski is a God when it comes to writing. I don't think there's enough compliments in the world that could adequately express how amazingly talented this woman is. After reading this book, I am utterly speechless... Something that doesn't happen often for me. Needless to say, I need the second book now... As in yesterday. If you're a fan of dark stories that will have you on the edge of your seat throughout every turn of the page then by God, this is the book for you.

★PS: For all of you out there avoiding this book because of the "cliff-hanger" ending... Don't. It isn't as bad as you're thinking. I'm okay... For now. ...And if I'm okay then you'll be okay. You're still left with a lot of unanswered questions and it doesn't end with a happily-ever-after per se... But damn it, the potential is there so just brave yourself to enjoy the ride of your life and suffer like the rest of us until the second book comes out- This isn't a book you want to miss out on... Trust me on this.

2 comments:

Maria D. said...

Thanks for the review! This is a new to me book and author

Alyssa said...

Thank you Maria! Oh my God, this book was amazing. ...Definitely worth the read! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...