Monday, April 27, 2015

Promo Post: The Australian By Lesley Young

Imagine leaving behind all that you know and starting over halfway around the world. Imagine you’ve got no gut instinct to rely on, no natural-born ability to read people or sort out lies from truth. Imagine your heart goes haywire every time you stare into a certain pair of deeply mesmerizing dark eyes. Now you’re in Charlie Sykes’ (highly sensible) shoes . . . 

Charlie Sykes takes everything and everyone at face value, and believes life would be a lot easier if everyone else did, too. Jace Knight, international Aussie hotelier and purported playboy, has never met anyone like the absurdly literal and obliviously beautiful American who applies to his personal assistant position. 

The trouble is, how do you seduce a woman whose definition of flirting comes straight out of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary? That, and he’s not the only one after Charlie. Seems Mr. Knight may not be a reformed criminal after all.

Charlie soon finds herself caught up in a whirlwind of dangerous international espionage that takes her from the hip streets of Sydney to the majestic Great Barrier Reef and the wild, desolate outback. A terrible trap’s being laid, but how will Charlie protect herself and prevent a devastating betrayal when she can’t even sort out what her heart’s telling her?


Fun Facts About The Australian by Lesley Young
Thanks so much for putting the spotlight on the second stand-alone book in my Crime Royalty Romance series The Australian!
First three opening lines of my book. . . .
I glanced at the time on my cell phone and frowned. My temp agency had notified me of this job prospect at the last minute, yet I had managed to arrive within sixty seconds of the appointed time, during Sydney’s rush-hour traffic no less. Meanwhile, I glanced at the closed door several feet from where I sat; the employer was unable to stay on schedule posing a mere series of interview questions. Vexing.
How I wrote this book. . .
-It took me two months, and I was so caught up in the story I would forget to pay bills, call friends, meet deadlines...kind of like when you read a really good book!
-I listened to Big Sugar’s If I Had My Way over 500 times while writing this novel.
If I had to summarize the book for the readers here...
A twist on a coming of age love story (Charlie Sykes is a late-starter!).
What the characters are like. . .
Charlie Sykes is a highly intelligent 24-year-old who makes her first illogical decision when she moves down under to start life over after her mother dies. She’s naive, but only because she sees the world extremely literal. Her ability to suss out the truth in every situation puts people on edge. When she lets down her guard, she’s vulnerable, intensely sensitive and utterly optimistic.
Jace Knight is a powerful hotelier who built up his empire on criminal foundations. And while his moral code is questionable, his honor is not. All he’s ever wanted is a good life. He’s brilliantly manipulative, but also vibrant, and young at heart.
What’s surprising about my characters .. .
I’m a bit of a pantser so no one was more surprised than me when a slightly autistic heroine came out of me. I’d never watched the TV show Bones before but someone mentioned Charlie reminded them of that show’s main character. 
What scene makes me laugh out loud every time I read it. . .
In this one scene, Charlie has to drive a car at gunpoint, but she’s still taking driving lessons (and hasn’t even made it out of the parking lot yet). The man holding her at gunpoint is unprepared for just how bad a driver she is. Something about this scene makes me laugh every time I read it. I’m smiling right now! Sharing the scene won’t do it justice here, because you have to get to know Charlie first for it to work.
If my book was optioned for a movie, I would use the following scene for the audition.
In this scene, Charlie asks Jace if he is involved with any criminal activity. It’s pivotal because they’re both laying everything on the line.

“Look me in the eye.”
I did as he asked.
“Now ask me.”
“Are you,” I caught my breath, “involved in criminal activities?” I sounded very quiet. Not myself.
I felt a burn in my nose, and my eyes grew blurry. He blew air out of his nose and stepped closer, but I stepped back, needing space to stay the course.
“Don’t,” I said.
“Don’t what?” he asked, tenderly.
I flashed on him again, surprised. His face had grown lighter, calmer . . . maybe as he took in my sadness. He had uncrossed his arms, and tilted his head to the side.
No. I knew what he was trying to do.
“Seduce the truth away,” I answered, remembering how he had reassured me in Port Douglas with physical affection.
His mouth popped open.
“I deserve better.”
He flinched, and, after a moment, glanced away.
The one piece of advice I’d give my characters. . . .
Don’t make assumptions.  Both my characters are so sure of themselves, they miss big problems staring straight at them.

Thanks for featuring me and my Crime Royalty Romance series. Both stand-alone books are available, including The Australian and The Frenchman. Stay in touch at lesleyyoungbooks.com, facebook.com/LesleyYoungBooks and @lesleyyounbks.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...