Saturday, August 22, 2015

Review: Execution Style By Lani Lynn Vale

Miller Spurlock might seem like a laid back man on the outside, but piss him off, or violate his trust, and he’ll show you the meaning of pain.

He was a Navy SEAL. He could kill a man a hundred different ways and not break a sweat.

He’s also a police officer and member of the SWAT team, which means he has the knowledge and skills to get away with it.

Rage boils in his gut when he witnesses what happens to the beautiful Mercy Shepherd during a SWAT op from hell that even his worst nightmare couldn't conjure up. And it surprises the hell out of him when she wants him, and him only, to comfort her in the aftermath.

Miller becomes the one shining beacon of light at the bottom of Mercy’s pit of despair.

The one man that could pull her through the rough days ahead and make her whole again.

And during her road back to herself, she realizes that she’s got the one thing she ever wanted in life…a hero to call her own.
I am sitting here trying to find the right words that I want to use in regards to Execution Style.  Normally for this author I end up cutting down my reviews some because I am usually raving about a book of hers.  This time, my issue is that unfortunately this is my least favorite of all of the books of hers I have read and reviewed.  If you have read my reviews in the past I am giving high praise for the story lines that Ms. Vale has written.  So it is really hurting my heart when this time I have to say this one was kind of all over the place and had too many issues for this reviewer to be able to overlook.

I normally hate to give any kind of spoiler away but in this instance I need to let you all know that it starts off with Mercy being raped.  Normally I would put a warning at the beginning but her rape is what takes over the entire book in my opinion and her choices after the matter.  I am a religious person but when reading this one I almost felt at times that religion was being pushed on me.  I didn’t like how Mercy in a way kind of put Miller on the spot about something, it to me made me not like her and she was never able to redeem herself in my eyes.  Miller, I really liked him, he was a really good guy.  Past wall breaking aside, he doesn’t want to pressure Mercy or add to her pain.

With all that being said I will continue to read the rest of this series and Ms. Vale’s books.  I am hoping that this is a onetime thing that I didn’t mesh with the book at all. I hope she goes back to the recipe that worked for so many books in the past; a sexy alpha male, a sassy female, sexy times and just enough drama and action to keep it interesting.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...