Monday, February 27, 2012

Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas



5 Stars!
Amazon link-  Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas

To sum it up: His name is Hardy Cates. He's a self-made millionaire who comes from the wrong side of the tracks. He's made enemies in the rough-and-tumble ride to the top of Houston's oil industry. He's got hot blood in his veins, and vengeance on his mind.

She's Haven Travis. Despite her family's money, she refuses to set out on the path they've chosen for her. But when Haven marries a man her family disapproves of, her life is set on a new and dangerous course. Two years later, Haven comes home, determined to guard her heart. And Hardy Cates, a family enemy, is the last person she needs darkening her door or setting her soul on fire...


There are just simply no words for this book- it was that perfect. For all of you who have read my review for the first book in the series, Sugar Daddy, you’re all aware that I felt the story was lacking big time in the romance department. It wasn’t enough to completely make me want to stop reading, but it was enough to make me a little skeptical about reading the second book in the series, Blue Eyed Devil. But I’m very happy to say, there was definitely enough romance in this book to satisfy me, and not affect the rating! I’ll be the first to admit, as a rule, I tend to avoid anything revolving around the whole “instant attraction” thing between a hero and heroine, while reading my romance novels- but… Blue Eyed Devil is most definitely an exception. Let’s just say, that Haven’s first encounter with Hardy was enough to have me fanning the sweat off my brow! …and I’ll never look at wine cellars the same…

I really truly loved and cared for Haven’s character- She stayed in an abusive relationship, and even once she got out of it, she was still buried in feelings of worthlessness. Her ex-husband, Nick, had always blamed her for the abuse, (what a scum-bag!) and his conviction had spread through her. Never once did I get annoyed with her character, or any of the decisions that she made- she truly was a smart woman, who's worst weakness was to be desperately needed- someone who mattered to someone.

When it comes to Hardy Cates, where do I even begin? Hardy may be the devil to the Travis family, but to Haven, he is everything wonderful, and dangerous, in a man. Let me just say, it’s very hard for me to find a hero who sticks with me long after reading there story- they’re few and far between... And I'm certainly happy to say that Hardy Cates is EVERYTHING you could ever want in a man, and is now considered one of my favorite heroes ever! ...*sigh*... Everything that man said or did had me swooning.

Everything about this story was just simply so well developed. The story never felt rushed. The detail was never too much. And although the romantic relationship that develops between Hardy and Haven is kept at a pretty slow pace, I wouldn't have had it any other way- it was something that I felt was necessary in order to help Haven with her much needed healing, and make this story only that much more believable. Blue-Eyed Devil was a story of healing, reclaiming your life, strength, and courage. It impressed me from page one to the very end, and was one of those books that stay with you long after reading it, and one that I'll never stop raving about.

Some of my favorite swoon-worthy quotes…

- "Hardy spoke against my hair. 'I want you to understand . . . you’re safe. I’m not going to hurt you in any way. And if I do something you don’t want, or you start to feel scared, I’ll stop. I’m not going to lose control.' I flinched as I felt a tug at the front of my jeans and heard the snap being unfastened. 'I’m just going to find out what you like.' My fingers curled into his T-shirt as his hands ventured inside the loosened waist of my jeans. 'I want to find out what you like too.' '...I like it all, darlin’,' he whispered, peeling my clothes off as if he were unwrapping a bandage. 'I told you, I’m easy to please.'”

- "...he felt better than any human being I'd ever met. 'Okay,' I said unsteadily, 'forget about what I said about not exchanging names. Who are you?' ...'for you honey, I'm trouble...'"


3 comments:

Dawn said...

Great review for another great Kleypas read!!

Alyssa said...

thank you DiDi! :)

Nicole said...

Oh Hardy!

Great review. I've read this book a few times. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...