Friday, September 18, 2015

Review: Warrior By Nicole Blanchard

I thought it was just one night with my brother’s best friend. The boy I had dreamt about since he gave me my first kiss, under the lights of the Ferris wheel.

I knew he was about to leave for a year – no chance for a future.

But our one night together would create memories for a lifetime.

Our paths crossed again, but I had lied, and he was no longer the man he once was. He was warring against demons. Against the silence that was threatening to swallow him. And I had kept a secret from him, one he would never forgive me for.

But my secret was about to be ripped open. Displayed for the world on national news. And I had only one way to repair the damage. 

I had to trust the man I lied to. 

The man I never got the chance to make a life with. 

The only man who could save what we had created together.

By now you all know that I have a special love for military romances, especially ones with wounded warriors or those who live with PTSD.  When I signed up for Warrior I didn’t know from the synopsis alone that this was the type of book it would be but it sounded good so I said “sure, why not”.  Nicole Blanchard is a new to me author so I wasn’t sure what to expect when I began to read.

Ben and Olivia share one night after years of tip toeing around the attraction they felt towards each other.  Olivia is Ben’s best friends little sister and he doesn’t want to hurt her but he can no longer hold back.  Their one night is filled with passion and they say goodbye before Ben deploys.  With promises to stay in contact as best as possible they part.  Later on Olivia finds out that their one night has created more than just memories, she is pregnant and this will not be an easy road for her.  Ben suffers as well, after being injured in battle he will never be the same as he was before.

I loved the banter between Ben and Olivia when they would start to bicker, you could feel the underlying friendship that was the base of their relationship.  I loved Ben’s character, even when he was pushing Olivia away I understood by.  Unless you experience PTSD yourself or someone who you love lives with it, you can never understand why at times they struggle to not only feel normal once more, but to not push their loved ones away.  Olivia, for me, really annoyed me at times when she didn’t stop to consider that Ben was suffering from more than the injury she knew about.  Yes, she had her own stresses but I think her lack of even telling his family certain things made me like her less.  Sadly Olivia kind of ruined it for me I think. 


Warrior has friends to lovers, a military man, secrets, drama, angst and some lessons that everyone needs to learn in life.  I liked this book, even with the issues I had with Olivia.  I am anxious to see who the next book is about.  I have an idea but I am not 100% positive that I am right so I don’t want to say.   This was a good start to the series and I look forward to reading more. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...