Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Review: Intrusion (Under the Skin #1) by Charlotte Stein



I believed I would never be able to trust any man again. That kindness was only for fools and would lead me down that same terrible path into darkness. I thought so with every fiber of my being-and then I met Noah Gideon Grant.

Everyone says he's dangerous. He never comes out of his house-a place that looks like it could be featured in Serial Killers Monthly. But the thing is … I think something happened to him too. I know the chemistry between us isn't just in my head. I know he feels it, but he's holding back. The pleasure he gives me is unreal-if only I could give something in return. If only he would let me in. I think I can make him feel something good. And for the first time in forever, I want to.

He's made a labyrinth of himself. Now all I need to do is dare to find my way through.



This one is a strange one for me to review. I honestly didn’t really get the plot. Was there a plot?

Noah is a recluse. He’s a brilliant profiler that got a little too close on a case in which he was left severely emotionally damaged. He’s withdrawn. Keeps to himself and others.

Beth is a survivor of her own terrifying ordeal. She has kept to herself as well and lives a monotonous life because of it. She and Noah have similarities that can connect them in that sense. They can understand each other.

This story is told in first person, which is completely fine when told well. However, there was way too much inner monologue for me. Too much telling and not enough showing. A lot of inner ramblings. After the second or third-ish encounter they just fall into a relationship. One moment she’s sitting at his table eating pie, and in the next, time has passed and she’s practically moved in. We are told this.

Then, the last chapter came out of nowhere to me. Certain players from their past weren’t quite done with them. Huh? Not once did I get a sense that either one of them were still in danger from their encounters. Yet, in the final chapter their lives were on the line. I was a bit lost and flipped back a few pages thinking I missed something. Nope. Nothing was set up to alert us to imposing danger.

Overall, this story missed the connection for me. Show me the relationship evolve. Show me the fear or worry that their lives weren’t safe. Show not just tell a story.

Unfortunately, this is a 2 star read for me.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...